When you have a large or giant breed dog, finding a dog bed that’s truly sized for their use can be a challenge. Extra large and jumbo dog beds provide your big dog with plenty of space to sprawl out and get comfortable.
In this guide, we’ll cover how to select the ideal large breed dog bed based on your dog’s needs and preferences. We’ll review top-rated big dog bed options, features to look for, proper sizing, materials and more. Let’s help your big pup rest easy!
Benefits of Large Dog Beds
High quality extra large dog beds provide big breed dogs:
- Plenty of room to stretch out and lounge
- Joint and muscle cushioning for large frames
- Enough area to find most comfortable position
- Cooling airflow space during summer months
- Supportive cushioning for aging joints
- Walls for a secure, den-like feeling
- Surface area for dogs who sprawl or shift
- Orthopedic foam support up to 150 lbs
The right oversized bed reduces joint pain and keeps your big dog comfortable.
How to Pick the Right Size Large Dog Bed
Choosing the proper size helps ensure your big breed dog’s bed provides plenty of lounging room.
Measure your dog:
- Length – Nose to tail base when lying down
- Height – Floor to top of head when standing
- Width – Widest part side to side
Add 12-16 inches of clearance:
- Length – For stretching and repositioning room
- Width – For ample space to shift or sprawl sideways
*Compare to product dimensions & weight limits:
- Extra Large – For 70-100 lb dogs approx.
- Jumbo – For 90-150+ lb dogs approx.
- Measure bed length, width, height and weight limits
Pick a bed at least 12-16 inches longer and wider than your dog for comfort.
Top 5 Rated Large Breed Dog Beds
Based on materials, durability, comfort and owner reviews, here are the top extra large dog beds:
1. Big Barker Pillowtop Orthopedic Dog Bed
- 7″ therapeutic foam base + 3″ pillowtop
- Waterproof liner and machine washable cover
- Up to 10 years foam shape retention
- Good for dogs up to 250 lbs
- Available in Large, XL, Giant XXL
Expertly engineered for big dogs, Big Barker provides 10 inches of total support thickness. The high quality therapeutic foam retains 90% of original shape even after years of use. Fully supports dogs up to 250 pounds while providing joint relief.
Available on Amazon starting at $239.95
2. PetFusion Memory Foam Dog Bed
- Gel infused memory foam
- Waterproof liner & removable covers
- Optional bolster for nesting
- For dogs up to 200 lbs
- Sizes from Large to Jumbo Plus
This popular memory foam dog bed is generously sized for big canines. The 4 inch memory foam cushioning conforms to the body for therapeutic comfort. The waterproof liner and removable covers allow for easy cleaning. A great choice for arthritic large dogs needing orthopedic support.
Available on Amazon starting at $119.95
3. KOPEKS Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Hypoallergenic high density egg crate foam pad
- Waterproof liner and durable fabric
- Ergonomic headrest design
- Sizes from XL to Jumbo Plus
- Holds up to 160 lb dogs
This egg crate orthopedic foam dog bed provides therapeutic support at a very affordable price. The soft foam pad cushions pressure points while aligning the spine. And the built-in ergonomic headrest cradles your dog’s neck. Great for elderly, disabled or recovering big pets.
Available on Amazon starting at $44.14
4. BarkBox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed
- Gel memory foam with cooling panels
- Removable, machine washable covers
- Waterproof inner liner
- For dogs up to 200 lbs
- Available in Jumbo and Giant
This luxuriously designed cooling platform bed offers both orthopedic support from memory foam and heat relief from gel panels. The removable covers allow for easy cleaning. Fits dogs up to 200 pounds. Attractive appearance complements home decor.
Available on Amazon starting at $109.99
5. Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Human-grade mattress foam
- Removable and machine washable cover
- Waterproof lining and non-slip bottom
- For dogs up to 300 lbs
- Sizes from XL to Jumbo Plus
This affordable foam orthopedic bed is loved for providing human-grade mattress comfort. Over 10 inches of high density foam supports up to 300 pound dogs. The waterproof liner, washable cover and non-slip bottom provide practicality. A great budget pick for giant breed comfort.
Available on Amazon starting at $65.99
Any of these extra large orthopedic dog beds provide the space, cushioning and support big breed dogs need.
Types of Fill Material in Dog Beds
Large dog beds typically contain these types of filling:
Memory foam – Offers therapeutic, contouring support. Can retain heat.
Orthopedic foam – Denser support foam aids joints and alignment.
Polyfill – Softer and fluffier but less supportive. Most affordable.
Egg crate foam – Distributes weight evenly. Provides cushioning.
Shredded foam – Allow adjustability but retains heat.
Cooling gel – Helps prevent heat retention and stuffiness.
Assess your dog’s needs like joint issues, overheating, and chewing tendencies when choosing optimal fill.
Special Considerations for Large and Giant Breeds
Due to their size, giant breed dogs need beds designed for their stature:
- Thicker orthopedic foam for joint cushioning
- Denser support cores to prevent sagging
- Extended warranties 10 years for long-term durability
- Waterproof liners shield foam from accidents
- Warranted up to 300 lbs weight capacity
- Baffle box stitching prevents fill bunching
- Chew-resistant covers and zippers
Prioritize robust construction and materials to provide years of comfortable support under larger loads.
How to Transition Your Dog to a New Bed
Changing your dog’s bedding takes some adjustment. Here are some tips to make the transition seamless:
- Place it in a familiar sleeping spot they already recognize
- Let them explore and sniff it while giving praise and pets
- Put a worn, unwashed blanket on top for familiar scent
- Reward them with treats for lying in the new bed
- Avoid scolding if they seem unsure at first
- Allow an adjustment period over a few days or weeks
- Wash covers to remove chemicals then reassemble
With patience and positive reinforcement, they’ll come to see it as their own space.
Washing and Cleaning Large Dog Beds
Follow these steps to clean your extra large dog bed:
- Unzip outer cover and remove interior pad
- Machine wash cover in cold water on gentle cycle
- Air dry cover to avoid shrinkage
- Spot clean stains on interior bed pad as needed
- Disinfect pad with pet-safe spray cleaner monthly
- Allow pad to fully air dry before reassembling
- Some beds have covers and pads that can be fully machine washed – check label.
- Use an upholstery cleaner on tough stains
Regular cleaning extends lifespan and keeps their bed inviting.
Finding the Right Shape Large Breed Dog Bed
Consider what design your big dog finds most calming:
- Rectangle – Open design allows sprawling. Good for dogs who shift positions.
- Round – Fits well in crates and corners. Provides cozy, enclosed feel.
- Raised/Bolstered – Higher sides for dogs who like to nest. Provides orthopedic support.
- Donut – Surrounds a dog’s body for security. Ideal for dogs who curl up tightly.
- Pillow – For loungers who like maximum stretch room.
Try different shapes and observe your dog’s preferences before fully committing.
DIY Extra Large Dog Bed Tips
Looking to make your own oversized dog bed? Here are some handy tips:
- Use a plastic tub or storage container for instant durability
- Look for dense, orthopedic and memory foams about 4-6 inches thick
- Consider adding softer foam top layers for plush comfort
- Use breathable liners and covers like cotton duck or linen
- Add a resistant chew-proof cover if your dog is prone to chewing
- Make sure edges are tucked and secured to avoid swallowing
- Include removable covers for easy washing
With the right foam density and construction, you can DIY an effective orthopedic dog bed!
Where to Place Extra Large Dog Beds
Ideally position your dog’s XL bed in a spot that makes them feel safe and relaxed. Most dogs enjoy having their bed:
- Near your bed for bonding and security
- Against a wall or corner for a protected feel
- Away from high traffic areas that can disrupt sleep
- Away from drafts, vents or direct sun
- On washable, stain-resistant surfaces
- Near a frequently used room like the living room
Observe your dog’s favored sleeping spots and keep the bed there.
Signs Your Dog’s Bed is Too Small
Indicators your dog’s bed is undersized include:
- Legs hanging over the sides
- Looking scrunched or cramped
- Constant repositioning and shifting
- Avoiding laying on it for long
- Only using a portion of the bed
- Seems restless and uncomfortable
- Developing joint stiffness or irritation
Dogs naturally want to stretch out. Ensuring adequate sleeping space reduces aches.
Should You Let Your Dog Sleep in Bed with You?
There are pros and cons to allowing your dog on your bed:
- Promotes bonding, security and trust
- Convenient for aging, disabled or anxious dogs
- Easier to monitor at night for health conditions
- Provides warmth and comfort for you and dog
- Potential issues with dominance, territoriality or aggression
- Disruptive if dog moves around a lot or snores
- Dog hair, dirt and odors transfer to bedding
- Not ideal if dog has bladder control issues
- Can exacerbate allergies being so close
Consider your individual preferences, lifestyle and relationship with your dog.
Signs Your Large Dog Needs an Orthopedic Bed
If your large dog shows these signs, an orthopedic bed could help:
- Struggling to get up; taking time to rise
- Limping or moving stiffly after long naps
- Reluctant or inability to jump up onto furniture
- Whining or groaning when standing up
- Seeking hard surfaces to sleep on
- Increased anxiety or irritability
- Avoiding stairs or previous favorite spots
- Developing calluses or pressure sores
Check with your vet if your dog shows changes in mobility or comfort. An orthopedic bed provides extra joint relief and cushioning aging large dogs need.
Should You Cover Your Dog’s Bed at Night?
Here are the pros and cons of using a bed cover:
- Provides warmth and a cozy enclosed space
- Makes dog feel secure and less anxious
- Discourages overnight activity like barking
- Shields bed from dirt, fur and moisture
- Can trap in heat, reducing breathability
- Needs to be washed frequently to prevent odors
- Some dogs pull off covers and destroy them
- Not advised for dogs with anxiety, aggression or chewing tendencies
Try a cover and observe your dog’s preferences. Discontinue use if they seem distressed or try to remove it.
Repurposing Mattresses as XL Dog Beds
Got an old mattress taking up space? Turn it into an extra large dog bed!
- Ideal amount of cushioning support
- Large surface area for big dogs to sprawl
- Easy to clean and sanitize
- Waterproof mattress covers protect foam
- Affordable DIY recycling project
- Bulky and hard to move
- Can be chewed and damaged over time
- Urine may soak deeper into foam
- May retain odors more than dog bed
With a little refurbishing, you can upcycle an old mattress into the perfect giant breed dog bed!
Large Dog Bed Alternatives
If a dedicated bed doesn’t work, try these alternatives to provide your big dog a comfy place to rest:
- Oversized bean bag chair
- Durable outdoor cushion
- Old sofa or couch cushions
- Large memory foam bath mat
- Inflatable pool raft or floatie
- Camping sleeping pad or mat
- Crib mattress or twin bed mattress
Get creative and observe what type of surface your dog likes best!
Extra Large Dog Bed Buying Tips
- Accurately measure your dog’s length, width, height
- Calculate recommended sizing based on dimensions
- Select reputable brand with excellent reviews
- Compare orthopedic support levels and weight limits
- Assess cover durability, water resistance and washing
- Make sure company stands behind quality with a strong warranty
Take time to find the ideal balance of size, comfort and durability for your big pup.
Providing a properly sized orthopedic dog bed pays dividends in your large breed dog’s health and happiness. Take measurements, assess your dog’s needs, and invest in quality materials and construction that provide years of support and comfort. With the right extra large dog bed, your best furry friend will sleep soundly and awake refreshed!