If you love ultra-soft bedding, microfiber sheets offer an indulgently cozy night’s sleep. Microfiber is valued for its plush feel, durability, and easy care. With so many microfiber options now available, how do you determine the best sheet sets? This guide will walk you through everything you need to know – from thread count to weave styles to smart shopping tips – to find the perfect microfiber sheets to create your dream bed.
What are Microfiber Sheets?
Microfiber sheets are made using extremely fine synthetic fibers, often polyester or nylon. The microfibers measure one denier or less in diameter – thinner than a strand of silk. These micro-thin fibers are tightly woven into a lightweight, breathable fabric prized for its softness against skin.
Microfiber sheets offer these advantages:
- Ultra-soft with a silk-like handfeel
- Durable, wrinkle and fade resistant
- Breathable, moisture-wicking and quick-drying
- Resists dust mites and allergens
- Affordable and easy care
- Wide variety of colors and prints
With the right weave and thread count, microfiber sheets provide a luxuriously soft, cozy and low maintenance bedding option.
Pros & Cons of Microfiber Bed Sheets
- Very affordable, starting around $25 for a Queen set
- Extremely soft with a silky feel
- Lightweight and breathable
- Resists wrinkles and fading
- Easy care – machine wash and dry
- Good selection of colors and prints
- Stain and liquid resistant
- Can pill with lower quality microfiber
- Less environmentally friendly as a synthetic
- Can be too lightweight year-round in some climates
- Attracts pet hair
- Heat retention – can sleep warm for some
What Thread Count is Best for Microfiber Sheets?
Thread count measures the number of threads horizontally and vertically packed in a square inch of fabric. For microfiber, a higher thread count indicates a denser, softer weave.
- 100-200: Budget sheets with a basic ultra-soft feel. Durability varies.
- 300-500: The sweet spot balancing softness, breathability and strength.
- 600-1,000: Very dense luxury-level microfiber with a indulgently plush feel.
As thread count rises, sheets feel softer but may trap more heat. Evaluate your preferences. Normal body heat can handle 300-600 thread count well.
Types of Microfiber Sheet Weaves
Microfiber sheets come in four main weave styles that impact softness, durability and breathability:
The simplest over-under basketweave. Very soft and lightweight. Can be less durable with lower thread counts. Great for sheets.
Diagonal parallel ribs add texture. Slightly thicker and more durable than Plain. Very soft but retains more heat. Used in sheets and twill microfiber bath towels.
A tighter, flat weave creates a more luxe high-thread count silken feel. Excellent for sheets. Less breathable.
Fleece and Jersey Knits
For lightweight, breathable microfiber sheets, look for sateen or plain weaves in 300-600 thread count range. Fleece knits make deliciously cozy winter sheets.
How to Shop for the Best Quality Microfiber Sheets
With so many microfiber sheet sets available, use this criteria to home in on the best quality:
- Feel – Preferably silky, smooth and lightweight. Avoid rough textures.
- Weave – Plain or sateen weaves make the most versatile sheets.
- Thread Count – Look for 300-600 for the best balance of softness, breathability and strength.
- Durability – Check reviews for how the sheets hold up after multiple washes.
- Fit – Deep pocket sheets >15” accommodate thicker mattresses with ease.
- Odor – Some microfiber can have an initial chemical smell. Look for odor-resistant options.
- Special features – Colorfastness, stain resistance, wrinkle-free finish, and antimicrobial properties are useful.
Taking the time to evaluate the details ensures you get the highest quality microfiber sheets for restful sleep.
5 Best Microfiber Sheets
Based on extensive research into quality, performance, owner satisfaction and overall value for money, here are the top 5 microfiber sheet sets:
1. Mellanni Brushed Microfiber Sheets
- Weave: Plain
- Thread Count: Unspecified, approx 180
- Material: Double-brushed polyester & nylon
- Prices: Starts at $30
Mellanni’s brushed microfiber sheets offer exceptional softness at a very affordable price point. The innovative double brushing process makes the microfibers ultra-plush without losing durability. The polyester-nylon fabric blend increases strength and longevity.
These easy-care sheets resist fading, stains and wrinkles right out of the dryer. With a silky-soft feel many compare to 1000+ thread count Egyptian cotton, they come in sizes for all mattresses. Over 200,000 positive reviews praise the comfort, quality and value.
- Innovative double-brushed fabric
- Unbelievably soft feel
- Fade, stain and wrinkle resistant
- Holds up well over time
- Dries quickly
- Very affordable
- Slight new material odor at first
- Only comes in 16” pocket
2. Amazon Basics Lightweight Microfiber Sheet Set
- Weave: Plain
- Thread Count: 400
- Material: 100% polyester
- Prices: Starts at $20
For basic microfiber sheets at the lowest prices, Amazon Basics offers outstanding quality and comfort. These lightweight sheets have a silky-soft feel right out of the package.
The 400 thread count hits the sweet spot where the microfiber is still breathable and smooth but with enhanced softness and strength. Fitted sheets include elastic all around for a secure fit. This easy-care set stays fade and wrinkle-free wash after wash. With over 325,000 reviews and an ultra-low price tag starting at just $20, they’re a top value choice.
- Very affordable full sheet sets
- Lightweight 400 thread count
- Smooth, comfortable microfiber
- Fade and wrinkle resistant
- Variety of colors
- Sizes only go up to 14” pockets
- Pills faster than some
3. Nestl Bedding Brushed Microfiber Sheets
- Weave: Twill
- Thread Count: 1500-1800
- Material: Brushed polyester
- Prices: $40 and up
For luxury hotel-worthy softness, Nestl Bedding’s brushed microfiber sheets deliver. Their innovative “Nestl Micro” fabric gets brushed multiple times using advanced machines. The result is an unbelievably soft, pill-resistant microfiber.
The twill weave enhances depth, texture and durability. The 1500-1800 thread count approaches bedding normally costing 10X more. Available in all sizes and over 40 colors, these easy-care sheets have deep 18” pockets. Owners say the Nestl sheets rival the feel of quality 1800 thread count cotton for a fraction of the price.
- Ultra-soft brushed “Nestl Micro” fabric
- 1500-1800 thread count
- Twill weave adds texture
- Colorfast deep pocket sheets
- Sophisticated color selection
- Excellent value for the quality
- Sleeps warmer than traditional microfiber
- Fit may shrink slightly after washing
4. Pure Bedding Microfiber Sheets
- Weave: Plain
- Thread Count: 1200
- Material: Silky microfiber polyester
- Prices: $25-$40
With an ultra-high 1200 thread count and velvety soft feel, Pure Bedding’s microfiber sheet set provides a touch of luxury without the luxury price tag.
These indulgently soft sheets use a dense, silken plain weave microfiber that helps regulate temperature throughout the night. The fabric resists pilling or thinning after washing. The set includes two pillowcases, flat and fitted sheets with 16” pockets. Owners love the easy care, massive color selection, and buttery softness comparable to high end Italian linens.
- 1200 thread count
- Extremely smooth and soft
- 16” deep pocket fitted sheet
- 90+ color and pattern options
- Very affordable for the quality
- Run smaller than average
- Relatively delicate, needs gentler washing
5. Utopia Bedding Brushed Microfiber Sheets
- Weave: Plain
- Thread Count: 1600
- Material: Double brushed microfiber
- Prices: $25-$30
For the ultimate combination of softness and affordability, Utopia Bedding delivers. These double brushed microfiber sheets have a heavenly lightweight feel. The innovative brushing process gives the 1600 thread count microfiber an extra-plush feel without compromising strength.
The fitted sheet has a fully elasticized skirt to fit mattresses up to 16” deep. This easy care sheet set stays fade resistant even after regular washing. It comes in elegant solid colors and patterns befitting luxury hotels. However, the Utopia sheets cost a fraction of the price. Owners describe them as insanely soft while being exceptionally durable.
- Double brushed for exquisite softness
- 1600 thread count
- Fade, stain and wrinkle resistant
- Deep fitted sheet accommodates thick mattresses
- Very affordable
- Sizes can run smaller
- Pills slightly over time
With the right combination of quality materials, innovative construction and reasonable prices, these microfiber sheet sets provide a little everyday luxury.
Microfiber vs Cotton Sheets: How Do They Compare?
|Softness||Very soft, slick feel||Softens over time after washing|
|Durability||3-5 years average||10+ years|
|Easy Care||Excellent, resists wrinkles, stain resistant||Needs more washing and ironing|
|Environmental Impact||Synthetic fibers less eco-friendly||Natural renewable materials|
|Price Range||$20-$50 for Queen set||$80-$500+ for Queen set|
Microfiber provides ultra-soft comfort perfect for sensitive skin coupled with hassle-free care. 100% cotton offers excellent breathability and a classic natural fabric feel that lasts years. Combine both for customized comfort!
Common Questions About Microfiber Sheets
Are microfiber sheets good?
Yes, microfiber sheets have many benefits. They are beloved for their ultra-soft feel, breathability, durability, easy care, and very affordable prices. With the proper weave and thread count, microfiber sheets provide a luxuriously silky night’s sleep.
What are the negatives of microfiber sheets?
The main downsides of microfiber sheets include potential heat retention, pilling with lower quality microfiber, and being less environmentally friendly as a synthetic material. They also attract pet hair more than cotton.
Is 1500 thread count too high for sheets?
For cotton sheets, thread counts over 600 often use cheating methods that diminish quality. But for microfiber 1500 thread count simply indicates an ultra-dense weave possible with super thin micro-fibers. 1500+ count can still allow great breathability yet with a smoother, silkier handfeel.
Can microfiber sheets cause health problems?
There are no health risks inherently related to microfiber sheets. Low-quality microfiber can potentially irritate sensitive skin. Lower thread counts in plain or twill weaves provide the most skin-friendly, breathable sheets. As with any bedding, washing regularly keeps sheets fresh. Those sensitive to synthetics can choose organic cotton sheets instead.
How do you keep microfiber sheets soft?
Use lower temperature machine washing and air or line drying instead of the dryer. This preserves the fibers’ softness. Add a fabric softener sheet or liquid to the wash. Look for microfiber sheets made with high-quality materials that naturally resist pilling and roughness after washing.
The Bottom Line
Microfiber sheets provide indulgently soft comfort, easy care, and affordable pricing. From innovative brushed weaves to luxurious high densities, they create a welcoming cozy bed. Take your time selecting the right weave, thread count and design details that align with your priorities for the perfect night’s sleep tucked into deliciously soft microfiber sheets. Sweet dreams!