A bedspread serves as the crowning focal point of your bedroom decor and comfort. For queen size beds, choosing the ideal bedspread comes down to priorities like style, warmth, texture and ease of care.
This guide will walk you through everything you need to pick the perfect queen bedspread, from measuring correctly to reviewing top rated options for design and performance. Let’s create a bedroom oasis you’ll love slipping into each night!
What is a Bedspread?
A bedspread, also sometimes called a coverlet, is the decorative top layer draped over the bed. It is designed to coordinate with and protect your other bed linens.
Bedspreads are distinguished by:
- Made of lighter fabric for warm weather use
- Used alone without a duvet or comforter
- Provides decoration but minimal insulation
- Drapes closely over the bed as a pretty cover
Common materials for queen bedspreads include cotton, chenille, velvet, wool, linen and silk. Let’s look at how to choose the perfect bedspread style and fabric for your needs.
How to Choose a Queen Size Bedspread
Here are the key factors to consider:
- Measure mattress length and width
- Add desired overhang of 8-12 inches
- Standard queen is around 90 by 95 inches
- Preference of texture, weight and warmth
- Softness, breathability and ease of care
- Quality of construction and durability
- Solid, print or textured pattern
- Style that complements your room’s decor
- Colors that coordinate with existing bedding
Take measurements and browse different fabrics and styles while visualizing in your space.
Measurements for a Queen Size Bedspread
To ensure a proper fit, measure your mattress length and width:
- Mattress width – Around 60 inches for a standard queen
- Mattress length – Usually around 80 inches
- Mattress depth – Add to allow drape over the sides
- Finished length – Add 8-12 inches minimum for overhang
Bedspreads come in standard mattress sizes, but always measure for a custom fit. An ill-fitting bedspread detracts from the room’s style.
Popular Queen Bedspread Fabrics
Queen bedspreads come in a wide range of fabrics. Considerations include:
Breathable, soft and durable. Easy to launder. Variety of weights.
Plush “caterpillar” fabric. Soft and insulating. Shows footprints.
Elegant with plush sheen. Can crush if low pile. Dry clean.
Understated elegance. Wrinkles easily but breathable.
Soft, warm and durable. Resists staining but can be pricey.
Luxurious and shiny but expensive. Requires dry cleaning.
Assess your needs like allergies, temperature control and ease of care when narrowing down fabric. Look for quality construction for longevity.
Different Styles of Queen Bedspreads
Queen bedspreads come in a wide selection of colors and designs:
Timeless choice available in all hues. Matches any decor.
Floral, paisley, checkered, stripe and more. Adds personality.
Buttons sewn into the surface create cozy texture.
Stitched or embossed squares lend depth and style.
Coordinating patterns on each side. Two looks in one.
Soft gathered ruffles or pleats for feminine charm.
Woven or stitched to create puckered squares. Textured and durable.
Consider the mood you want to achieve and look that fits your space best.
5 Top Rated Queen Bedspreads
Based on quality, design and customer satisfaction, here are 5 of the best queen bedspreads:
1. Intelligent Design Nadine Bedspread
- Soft microfiber polyester
- Reversible to solid cream
- Subtle textured quatrefoil design
- Tailored with mitered corners
- Machine washable
This matelassé microfiber spread from Intelligent Design receives rave reviews for its cozy texture and reversible versatility. The ivory and cream colorway works in any style room while adding quiet dimension. Quality construction ensures it maintains its beauty after repeated washing. An exceptional value available in all sizes.
Available on Amazon: $29.99 and up
2. Mellanni Brushed Microfiber Bedspread
- Double brushed microfiber
- Available in 40+ colors
- Fade, stain and wrinkle resistant
- Machine washable and dryer safe
- 5 year warranty
For a soft, cozy easy-care bedspread, Mellanni’s microfiber is a top choice with over 44,000 positive reviews. Customers love the velvety plush feel and range of rich colors like emerald green, sapphire blue and wine red. The polyester microfiber is fade, wrinkle and stain resistant. An affordable way to refresh your bedroom.
Available on Amazon: $26.96 and up
3. Bedsure Satin Bedspread
- 100% polyester satin
- Available in 20 colors
- Smooth and shiny with a fluid drape
- Puckered quilt-inspired style
- Machine wash cold, tumble dry low
This popular satin quilt bedspread from Bedsure adds an elegant polish and luminosity to any bedroom. The quilted design looks beautiful made up on the bed while providing subtle texture. Choose from colors like blush, navy, gray and ivory to match your style. An elegant and easy-care option.
Available on Amazon: $21.99 and up
4. Chezmoi Collection 7 Piece Bedspread Set
- Soft microfiber polyester
- Includes shams, throws, and decorative pillows
- Available in 7 colors
- Reversible to solid color
- Machine washable
For a complete luxe bedroom suite, this 7 piece set from Chezmoi Collection is a wonderful value. The set includes a quilted bedspread, shams, and decorative pillows in cozy soft microfiber. Everything reverses to solid for two different looks. Customers rave about the quality and sophistication at this very reasonable price point.
Available on Amazon: $63.99 and up
5. Legacy Textiles Herringbone Bedspread
- 100% cotton
- Yarn dyed herringbone weave
- Soft washed for texture
- Available in 4 versatile colors
- Machine wash warm, only non-chlorine bleach
Made from natural 100% cotton, this woven textured bedspread from Legacy Textiles provides casual sophistication. The two-toned yarn dyed checks add visual interest while the cotton provides breathability. Suitable for all seasons and effortlessly stylish with its natural tones.
Available on Amazon: $89.99 and up
Any of these top-rated finds check the boxes for quality, value and design to transform your bedroom into a restful retreat.
What is the Standard Size for a Queen Bedspread?
The standard queen bedspread size is:
- Width: Around 90 inches
- Length: Around 95 inches
This allows sufficient overhang draped over the sides of a typical 60” x 80” queen size mattress.
Always measure your specific mattress though, including thickness, to ensure the bedspread allows adequate visual framing.
How to Select Bedspread Fabric by Season
Choose bedspread fabrics based on the warmth level you need:
Winter – Wool, flannel, chenille and velvet provide warmth.
Summer – Lightweight cotton, linen, silk and microfiber are cool choices.
All Season – Blends like cotton/linen/silk, textured weaves, and quilted styles work year-round.
Year Round – If you prefer just one bedspread, mid-weight cotton or cotton/poly blends balance warmth and breathability.
Think about your climate and temperature preferences when selecting fill for the season.
Besides a traditional bedspread, you can top your bed creatively with:
Thin, decorative bedspread alternative. Easy care cotton or blends.
Can be used as bedspreads. Provides warmth and design.
Crisp removable covers filled with insert for insulation.
Cozy way to change up bedspread look. Easy to launder.
Vintage-inspired look draping table linen on bed.
Mix and match for easy style switching.
Should You Make the Bed with Flat Sheet + Bedspread?
The classic way to make a bed is:
- Fitted sheet on mattress
- Flat top sheet tucked in
- Bedspread as top layer
But many now skip the top sheet for simplicity and use:
- Fitted sheet
- Comforter or duvet
- Decorative bedspread on top
Up to you! The bedspread adds a decorative touch either way.
Bedspread vs. Coverlet vs. Quilt
What’s the difference in these decorative bed toppers?
- Light, decorative layer
- Used alone in warm weather
- Flowing fabric like cotton or chenille
- Thin bedspread alternative
- Usually quilted for texture
- Can be used with or without top sheet
- Decorative and provides insulation
- Distinct patchwork patterns and designs
- Typically used with a top sheet
All add style but quilts also provide warmth while bedspreads and coverlets are lighter.
Best Practices for Washing a Bedspread
- Check manufacturer instructions.
- Machine wash gentle cycle with mild detergent.
- Wash dark colors separately to avoid bleeding.
- Air dry on a line or dryer rack if possible.
- If machine drying, use low heat only.
- Remove from dryer immediately to avoid wrinkles.
- Steam or gently iron on low if needed.
Proper washing and drying helps bedspreads maintain their beauty.
Places to Buy Queen Size Bedspreads
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Specialty bedding stores like Bedroom Expressions
- Etsy for handmade options
Shop around for the best price, widest selection and quality. Watch for sales around holidays and change of seasons.
Designer Queen Bedspreads Worth Splurging On
If your budget allows, consider investing in one of these luxury designer queen bedspreads:
- Matouk – Known for intricate embellished details, handcrafted.
- Sferra – Italian luxury with craftsmanship perfected since 1891.
- Frette – Understated sophistication since 1860.
- Peacock Alley – Timeless style and techniques. High quality cotton.
- Yves Delorme – French elegance meets creative edge. Vibrant colors.
- Anthropologie – Boho chic and globally-inspired patterns.
Treat yourself to artisan details and fabrics for a bedspread heirloom.
DIY Queen Bedspread Ideas
Give your bedspread a personal touch with handmade details:
- Monogram with embroidered initials
- Add applique patches, buttons, lace or trims
- Create a memory quilt from old t-shirts or fabrics
- Dye basic white spreads custom colors
- Use block printing, stenciling or stamping for patterns
- Sew on ruffles, pleats or embellished borders
Infuse it with personal style to complement your space.
Queen Bedspread vs. Comforter
What’s the difference in these bed toppers?
- Decorative only
- Used alone in warm weather
- Easier to launder and care for
- Provides insulation and warmth
- Filled with down, feathers or synthetic fill
- Used with a top sheet
- Can be pricier and higher maintenance
If you want just decorative style, a bedspread simplifies your bedding. But when you need warmth, choose a supportive comforter.
Common Queen Bedspread Questions
How much overhang should a bedspread have?
Aim for 8-12 inches of overhang draped evenly on each side for best proportions. Less than 6 inches looks skimpy. More than 16 inches can bunch up.
What color bedspread makes a room look bigger?
Light neutrals like white, ivory, cream or pale gray visually expand a room. Bold colors and dark hues feel more intimate.
What fabric is best for bedspreads?
Choose based on priorities like warmth, softness, durability and ease of care. Popular options include cotton, linen, velvet, wool, silk, chenille and microfiber blends.
How do you store an extra bedspread?
Fold neatly and place in a breathable fabric storage bag. Store in a chest, under the bed, on a shelf, or in the closet. Keeping it clean and dust-free preserves the fabric.
How do you make a bedspread stay in place?
Use bedspread clamps, ties, elastic or skirt clips to secure it if it bunches or shifts on the bed. Place non-slip mesh between the mattress and bedspread to hold it firmly.
Achieve Bedroom Bliss with the Perfect Bedspread
Hopefully this guide provided everything you need to select the ideal bedspread for your queen size bed. Measure carefully, decide on features like fabric and style based on your needs and bedroom aesthetic, and shop around for quality and value. Mix and match your bedspread with sheets, throws and shams for easy seasonal updates. With your beautiful new bedspread as the focal point, your bedroom will become a welcoming, restful retreat. Sweet dreams!