If you tend to sleep hot and sweaty, moisture wicking sheets can help keep you drier and cooler throughout the night. Advanced fabrics and technologies actively pull sweat away from your body and promote rapid evaporation so you stay comfortable.
In this in-depth guide, we’ll explain how moisture wicking sheets work, review the top-rated options for effectively handling night sweats, and provide a detailed buyer’s guide covering special technologies, materials, certifications and more. Let’s get started finding moisture wicking sheets to beat the heat!
What Are Moisture Wicking Sheets?
Moisture wicking sheets refer to bed sheets constructed using special high-tech fabrics, weaves, and fibers designed to actively draw sweat and moisture away from your skin. Instead of absorbing dampness like cotton, these sheets use advanced technologies to rapidly spread and evaporate liquid away from your body heat.
This moisture management helps hot sleepers who sweat at night feel drier and cooler. It prevents the damp, clammy feeling that can ruin sleep quality. Moisture wicking sheets pull sweat to the exterior surface where it quickly evaporates.
Quality wicking sheets combine advanced materials that actively transport moisture with technologies that speed up evaporation. Let’s look closer at how this moisture wicking process works.
How Do Moisture Wicking Sheets Work?
Moisture wicking sheets pull off the remarkable process of “active drying” through two key mechanisms:
Special materials like technical fabrics and microfibers or bamboo create a wicking effect, rapidly spreading out moisture laterally across the sheets instead of letting it soak through. This pulls sweat away from your skin.
**Accelerated Evaporation **
The sheets also utilize technologies to speed up drying time once moisture reaches the surface. Phase change materials, nanofiber finishes, and fabrics infused with graphene all help moisture evaporate quicker before it can reabsorb.
This one-two punch actively transports moisture away from your body while evaporating liquid back into the air. The result is a cool, dry sleeping environment ideal for those who sweat heavily at night.
Now let’s look at the key benefits this quick-drying performance provides.
Benefits of Moisture Wicking Sheets
Here’s how moisture wicking sheets enhance your comfort if you sleep hot and sweaty:
Stay Dry – Actively pulls sweat away from skin and spreads it across the sheet surface to evaporate rather than absorbing moisture.
Sleep Cooler – Evaporating dampness regulates your skin temperature instead of trapping body heat like damp cotton.
Reduced Sweat Odor – Minimizes the dampness bacteria feed on to create sweat odors in sheets.
No Wet Spots – Channels moisture out and away from your body’s contact points on the mattress to prevent localized wet spots.
Heat Regulation – Special phase change materials and technologies help disperse body heat for a cooler feel.
Breathability – Fabrics like bamboo, eucalyptus and high-tech athletic materials enhance airflow across your skin.
Antimicrobial – Inhibits microbes that lead to odor buildup in damp sheets.
With these wicking abilities, hot and sweaty sleepers can finally get restful, dry sleep. Next, let’s see the top sheets that offer the best moisture management.
Reviews of the Top Moisture Wicking Sheets
Based on intensive lab testing and research into materials, construction, and reviews, these moisture wicking sheets outperform for managing night sweats:
Cozy Earth Bamboo Sheets
With its ultra-breathable bamboo and moisture-wicking tencel blend, Cozy Earth’s sheet set excels at temperature regulation.
- Material: Bamboo viscose and Tencel Lyocell
- Available Sizes: Twin to Split King
- Colors: White, slate
- Price Range: $$$
These sheets blend the cooling power of bamboo viscose and Tencel Lyocell made from eucalyptus wood pulp. Together the materials actively transport moisture away from skin while allowing exceptional airflow. The breathable sateen weave speeds evaporation.
These premium moisture wicking sheets earn rave reviews for their dry, ultra-cool sleeping feel. Hot sleepers say they see a huge reduction in sweat and blankets feeling damp. The stretchy fabric hugs the mattress smoothly. The sheets feel cool to the touch and get softer over time after each wash while retaining their moisture wicking abilities.
Who They’re Best For
Hot sleepers who want the highest quality moisture wicking performance from premium materials. Shoppers seeking ultra-soft, cooling and luxurious sheets.
Ettitude Bamboo Lyocell Sheet Set
For certified organic moisture-wicking bamboo sheets, Ettitude is a top choice.
- Material: Organic bamboo lyocell
- Available Sizes: Twin to Split Cal King
- Colors: 10 colors
- Price Range: $$$
Ettitude’s OEKO-TEX certified sheet set is crafted using organic bamboo pulp spun into moisture-wicking lyocell fibers using closed-loop systems and non-toxic solvents. The fabric actively pulls moisture away from the skin and spreads it out. The sateen weave helps humidity evaporate away quicker versus absorbing.
These certified organic bamboo sheets receive rave feedback for their superior temperature regulation that keeps hot sleepers much drier overnight. Reviewers also love the ultra-soft, smooth hand-feel. Fit remains snug after many washes. People mention these sheets feel cool against the skin.
Who They’re Best For
Eco-conscious consumers who want organic bamboo sheets with moisture wicking. Their cooling abilities also make them ideal for hot sleepers.
SHEEX Performance Sheets
Offering advanced athletic fabric moisture wicking, SHEEX sheets are ideal for sweaty sleepers.
- Material: Polyester performance fabric
- Available Sizes: Twin to Split King
- Colors: 20 colors
- Price Range: $$
SHEEX sheets use ultra-breathable performance fabrics engineered with moisture wicking abilities perfected by athletic apparel companies. The fabric rapidly transports sweat across the surface while letting air flow through. Moisture evaporates quickly before reabsorbing for superior cooling.
These athletic-inspired sheets get glowingly reviews for their exceptional moisture wicking abilities. Hot and sweaty sleepers say they stay dry all night without the damp feeling in the morning. The smooth fabric resists wrinkles and odors even after sweaty use. Fits well and customers love the vast color selection.
Who They’re Best For
People who sweat profusely at night and want reliable, high-tech moisture wicking performance. The special fabric keeps even very hot sleepers dry. Also great for athletic recovery.
Amiham Linen Sheet Set
For lightweight, ultra-breathable linen sheets, Amihan’s moisture-wicking linen set offers superior airflow.
- Material: 100% European flax linen
- Available Sizes: Twin to King
Colors: 11 colors
- Price Range: $$
These OEKO-TEX certified sheets are crafted from lightweight European linen using pre-shrunk fabric for durability. The linen actively moves moisture away from the body while allowing lots of air circulation to evaporate sweat. Specialized weaving enhances drying performance. Fits mattresses up to 16” deep.
Reviewers love how these 100% linen sheets excel at keeping them dry, cool and comfortable through the night. Those who tend to sleep very hot and sweaty say these sheets maintain a comfortable temperature year-round. They also praise the sheets for their ultra-soft feel that improves over time.
Who They’re Best For
People wanting 100% natural linen sheets with moisture wicking abilities. The lightweight linen construction excels at airflow and temperature regulation for hot sleepers.
Cariloha Bamboo Sheets
For soft, smooth bamboo sheets with moisture-wicking power, Cariloha’s viscose bamboo sheets are a top choice.
- Material: Viscose from bamboo
- Available Sizes: Twin to California King
- Colors: White, stone, sky, sand, graphite
- Price Range: $$
Crafted from bamboo viscose, these soft sateen sheets excel at spreading moisture out across the surface and allowing evaporation. Bamboo rayon has natural wicking ability and breathability. Bamboo’s antimicrobial properties also fight odor from sweat.
With over 15,000 reviews, these bamboo sheets earn consistent praise for their luxurious softness coupled with superior temperature regulation that keeps hot sleepers drier. People love the ultra-silky hand-feel right out of the package. The moisture-wicking performance also makes the sheets ideal for athletic recovery.
Who They’re Best For
Hot sleepers who want soft, breathable bamboo sheets that also actively wick sweat away from their body during sleep. Provides both comfort and cooling.
As you can see, there are multiple sheet options spanning from athletic-inspired fabrics to luxury bamboo that excel at moisture wicking. Next, let’s discuss how to shop for the ideal set.
How to Shop for Moisture Wicking Sheets
Here are the key factors to keep in mind when shopping for moisture wicking sheets:
Special Fabric Structures
Look for engineered fabric weaves and constructions that enhance:
- Moisture movement – Fabrics woven to rapidly spread moisture outward.
- Evaporation – Structures with pockets, channels or mesh to accelerate drying.
- Airflow – Lightweight, breathable fabrics that allow maximum airflow and cooling.
- Two-way stretch – Knit fabrics with bi-directional stretch conform better for full contact.
Moisture Wicking Technologies
Advanced technologies also speed up moisture evaporation:
- Phase change materials – Absorb heat energy from liquid sweat then release it back as a solid to enhance evaporation.
- Nanotechnology – Nano-scale coatings create a more breathable membrane for moisture to pass through quickly.
- Graphene infusion – Graphene’s amazing conductivity helps dissipate heat and accelerate drying.
- Shape memory fabrics – Kinked smart fibers unfurl as you sleep to provide more cooling surface area.
- Moisture sensing – Hydrophilic “smart fibers” spread out molecules.
Key Fabrics That Excel at Moisture Wicking
Look for sheets made with athletic and natural fabrics renowned for moisture wicking abilities:
- Athletic jersey material like polyester or nylon mesh. Originally designed for sports apparel.
- Bamboo rayon derived from bamboo pulp into viscose. Naturally breathable and moisture-wicking.
- Tencel lyocell fabric made from tree pulp. Ultra breathable and cooling.
- Eucalyptus lyocell fabric using fibers from eucalyptus trees. Excellent temperature regulation.
- Linen made from flax plant fibers have natural wicking properties to spread moisture. Very lightweight and airy.
Find the right balance of high-tech performance and luxurious comfort by blending materials like bamboo or linen with advanced moisture wicking technologies like nanofiber cotton.
Indicators of Drying Performance
Look for specific details that indicate effective moisture wicking:
- Percentage of sweat reduction – Measurements of how much less moist sheets feel in the morning.
- Minutes to dry benchmark – How quickly sheets dry from sweat saturation testing.
- Moisture absorption ratings – Percent of liquid moisture absorbed versus wicked away from skin contact.
- Evaporation efficiency – Testing of how effectively sweat moisture becomes vapor.
- Airflow ratings – Quantified breathability and ventilation measurements.
Studies, lab results, and performance data back up the real-world drying capabilities.
Weave and Thread Count
For moisture wicking sheets, moderate thread counts around 300-500 provide the ideal balance of softness, airflow, and durability. Percale or Tencel lyocell weaves also promote cooling.
Added benefits like these can enhance your sheet set:
- Temperature regulating – Phase change materials, special fibers proactively cool.
- Athletic recovery – Wicking away night sweat aids muscle recovery.
- Antimicrobial – Bamboo and silver fibers inhibit bacteria, mold, mildew growth.
- Stretch – Knit sheets with two-way stretch enhance fit.
Consider your unique needs and priorities to choose appropriate moisture wicking add-ons.
Expect to pay more for high-tech moisture wicking sheets than basic cotton sets:
- Moisture-wicking performance polyester or poly-cotton blend sheets.
- Bamboo, Tencel, or linen blend sheets with wicking technology infusions.
- 100% bamboo lyocell, eucalyptus lyocell, or linen with nanofiber or nanocellulose enhancements.
Factor in durability, special features, and construction when comparing prices.
Now that you know what to look for when shopping, let’s delve into a detailed buyer’s guide covering all aspects of moisture wicking sheets.
Complete Moisture Wicking Sheet Buying Guide
Here’s your complete glossary of variables to weigh when evaluating moisture wicking sheets:
Types of Moisture Wicking Fabrics
These advanced materials excel at moisture transportation and evaporation:
Technical athletic fabrics like polyester are engineered for maximum breathability, sweat wicking, and drying performance. Offer reliable moisture control.
Bamboo rayon or lyocell utilizes highly absorbent bamboo fibers to pull away and spread sweat across the surface of sheets where it evaporates quickly. Exceptional cooling properties make bamboo sheets ideal for wicking.
Tencel Lyocell fabric made from wood pulp is extremely breathable and only absorbs minimal moisture. Allows 50% better airflow than cotton.
Modal fabric crafted from reconstituted beech tree pulp retains and spreads moisture well. Breathable and antimicrobial. Often blended with cotton.
Eucalyptus Lyocell made of processed eucalyptus pulp feels cool against the skin. Very breathable and absorbs 30% less water than cotton.
Linen made from flax plant fibers is ultra-lightweight with natural moisture wicking properties. Allows lots of airflow. Great for hot climates.
Eco-friendly Merino wool has moisture absorbing lanolin agents along with heat regulation abilities.
Fabric Structures for Moisture Management
Beyond materials, structures like knits enhance both moisture transportation and evaporation by improving airflow and creating evaporation channels:
Knit jersey fabric is woven in two directions with natural elasticity for greater mobility of moisture away from the skin.
Mesh fabric improves ventilation and evaporation through pockets in the structure. Makes it harder for moisture to reabsorb.
Channel designs use grooves in fabrics to provide specific air channels so heat and moisture move laterally rather than sit on the skin.
Wicking finishes are applied to create capillary actions that passively pull moisture outward across fabric.
Nanofiber textures utilize a network of pores smaller than a water droplet so sweat can’t reabsorb easily back into the material.
Special Moisture Wicking Technologies
Manufacturers also infuse sheets with advanced technologies that accelerate drying time:
Phase change materials (PCM) – Absorb heat energy then release it to optimize humidity and temperature.
Nanotechnology – Nano-scale coatings enhance breathability and moisture evaporation.
Graphene – Graphene’s amazing conductivity helps dissipate heat and accelerate drying.
Shape Memory Polymers – Kinked fibers unfurl with body heat to create cooling channels.
Hydrophilic Fibers – Sensor fibers spread out sweat molecules rapidly.
These weaves promote airflow and cooling ideal for moisture wicking sheets:
Percale – Usually cotton. Breathable, crisp feel. Durable and easy to launder.
Sateen – Smooth surface and fine drape but less breathable than percale.
Jersey knit – Lightweight knit with natural stretch. Gives moisture mobility.
Linen – Made of flax fibers. Very lightweight and breathable. Textured appearance.
Lightweight, tight weaves enhance airflow while knits provide stretch.
Thread Counts for Moisture Wicking
For wicking sheets, moderate thread counts around 300-500 provide the best balance of softness, breathability, and cooling.
High 600-1000+ thread counts can negatively impact airflow and cooling capabilities that are essential for moisture wicking performance.
Lighter, more breathable sheets maximize ventilation and cooling:
- Lightweight 180-225 GSM – Ultra-breathable and cooling but less durable. Good for warm climates.
- Mid-weight 225-300 GSM – Balances softness, breathability, and strength. Good for all seasons.
- Heavyweight 300+ GSM – Very soft but retains more heat. Better suited for colder temps.
Ease of Care
Moisture wicking sheets need to hold up to repeated hot washes and dryer use. Look for:
- Machine washable sheets preferably in hot water to kill bacteria from sweat residue.
- Quick drying fabrics like polyester, linen, and bamboo blends that limit time in the dryer.
- Resistant to heat damage – Many athletic and technical fabrics can withstand high heat washing and drying.
- Wrinkle-resistant – Fabrics like polyester or bamboo blended with synthetics stay smooth right out of the dryer.
Prioritize easy care as night sweats necessitate frequent laundering.
Sizing and Fit
Getting the right fitted sheet size ensures a snug fit:
- Measure mattress height accurately for fitted sheet pocket depth.
- Mattress lengths over 80” need Deep Pocket or King sizes.
- Widths over 60” require Queen/King sizes.
- Breathable stretch knits provide most flexibility and airflow.
Avoid pulling or restriction that could hinder moisture wicking performance.
Longevity and Durability
Look for signs of quality construction and materials for longevity:
- Natural fibers like bamboo and linen soften over time while maintaining strength.
- Athletic jersey knits resist snagging or tears despite stretch.
- Mature technologies like original Dri-FIT moisture wicking polyester withstand years of use.
- Reinforced hems and stitching prevent ripping or unraveling, especially on fitted sheets.
With night sweats, moisture wicking sheets must endure frequent washing and high heat drying over years.
Design and Color Options
- Solid colors in versatile neutrals – white, gray, black – coordinate easily.
- Subtle patterns and prints provide visual interest without clashing with other bedding.
- Performance fabrics lend a sleek, high-tech modern look.
- Natural fibers like linen, bamboo, and Tencel offer spa-like aesthetics.
Be prepared to spend more for high-tech moisture wicking sheets:
- Entry level moisture wicking performance polyester or poly-cotton blends.
- Bamboo, Tencel, or linen blends with added drying agents like PCM technology infusions.
- 100% luxury fabrics like bamboo lyocell or linen paired with nanofiber enhancements.
Factor in durability, drying performance, and special features when comparing prices.
Shopping Tips to Find Deals
- Check for online sales around long holiday weekends for extra promo savings.
- Join loyalty programs and email lists for special coupon codes and member prices.
- Buy dimensionally deep pocket fitted sheets only rather than entire sets if moisture management is your priority.
- Shop direct-to-consumer brands online to avoid inflated retail markups.
Caring for Moisture Wicking Sheets
Follow these care tips to prolong the life of moisture wicking sheets:
- Wash in hot or warm water to kill odor and sweat-loving bacteria.
- Use mild, fragrance-free detergent. Avoid fabric softeners and dryer sheets that leave residue.
- Wash gym sweaty sheets promptly before odors set in. Disinfecting detergent can help.
- Air dry or dry on medium-high setting. Remove promptly to prevent over-drying.
- Use vinegar in rinse cycle to help remove mineral residue from dried sweat that can dull fibers.
- Avoid using bleach which can degrade performance fabrics over time.
Proper laundry care keeps moisture wicking sheets performing like new.
FAQs About Moisture Wicking Sheets
Still have some questions about these ultra-dry sheets? Here are answers to some commonly asked questions.
How do moisture wicking sheets actually keep you dry?
The special fabric structure actively transports perspiration across the surface rather than absorbing it. This pulls sweat away from your skin. Technologies like phase change materials then accelerate evaporation of this moisture into the air.
Do you really need moisture wicking sheets?
If you frequently wake up damp from sweating throughout the night, then yes moisture wicking sheets can make a huge improvement in your comfort and sleep quality. For mild or occasional sweating, regular cotton sheets may be adequate.
What thread counts work best for moisture wicking sheets?
For the best moisture evaporation and airflow, look for thread counts in the 300-500 range. Ultra high 1000+ counts tend to block airflow that’s vital for cooling and moisture control.
Does thread count affect the drying performance of sheets?
Yes, a higher thread count above 600 will likely result in less effective moisture evaporation and drying time because of the dense weave blocking airflow. Lightweight percale sheets around a 300 count dry fastest.
What fabrics are the most moisture wicking?
Advanced technical fabrics engineered for athletic and outdoor apparel, bamboo, linen, Tencel and eucalyptus lyocell are among the top moisture wicking fabrics. Polyester jersey knits and cotton/poly blends also work well.
How long do moisture wicking sheets typically last?
With proper care, you can expect moisture wicking sheets to maintain their quick drying performance for 2-5 years or more before needing replacement. Higher end bamboo and Tencel blends last longest.
Do you need to use special laundry products for these sheets?
It’s fine to wash moisture wicking sheets with regular detergent. But do avoid fabric softeners and dryer sheets which can leave residue behind that blocks moisture evaporation. Vinegar helps remove mineral deposits that can build up from dried sweat over time.
We hope this extensive moisture wicking sheet guide has given you all the information needed to find the perfect set to keep you dry, cool, and comfortable if you experience night sweats. Advanced materials like bamboo, linen, and technical fabrics paired with special technologies actively pull moisture away from your skin and speed up evaporation so you stay dry all night long. Sleep sweat-free with moisture wicking sheets!