Sleep trackers are devices and technologies designed to monitor and analyze your sleep behaviors to help improve rest. Advanced models go beyond basic sleep staging to provide personalized insights and recommendations.
Below I’ll review the 10 best bed sleep tracking systems available in 2023 based on product specifications, features, and verified customer reviews. I’ll summarize how each sleep tracker works along with real user feedback so you can find the right option tailored to your needs and budget.
Benefits of Sleep Tracking Technology
Quality sleep trackers offer these advantages:
- Provide detailed sleep cycle data like time fallen asleep, periods awake, and time in each sleep stage.
- Track heart rate, breathing disturbances, movement and other biomarkers.
- Generate overall sleep scores and consistency benchmarks to understand sleep quality trends.
- Make personalized recommendations to improve sleep issues based on your metrics.
- Allow setting sleep goals and optimizing bedtime routines for better rest.
- Some can integrate with smart home devices to automate high quality sleep.
Sleep tracking gives you visibility into how well you currently sleep while guiding improvements.
Types of Sleep Tracking Systems
Sleep trackers monitor rest through varied methods:
Wristbands or rings with sensors that track movement, heart rate and more as you sleep. Basic models may miss wakeups.
Thin, flexible mats placed under the sheet which use ballistocardiography to track heart rate, respiratory rate and sleep stages.
Smart Beds and Bases
Adjustable beds and mattresses contain biometrics sensors to track heart and breathing rates along with movement.
Radar or radio frequency sensors placed near the bed analyze motion, heart rate, and breathing patterns.
Combines a wearable tracker with a secondary under-mattress sensor for cross-referenced accuracy.
As technology improves, sleep trackers deliver increasingly detailed and accurate sleep data while minimizing disruptive sensors.
10 Best Bed Sleep Trackers Reviewed
Based on sleep tracking capabilities, technology, and genuine customer experiences, here are the top sleep tracking systems available to monitor sleep:
1. Emfit QS – Most Advanced Sensor
- Clinically-validated, 98% accurate sleep staging
- Thin flexible film sensor slides under mattress
- No wearables required – tracks unobtrusively
- Measures heart rate, breathing rate, HRV and movement
- Scratch-resistant sensor withstands years of use
- Integrates with Nest, Google Home and IFTTT
Lab-tested and clinically validated, the Emfit QS contactless sleep tracker rated as the most accurate option based on reviews. The thin film sensor simply goes under your mattress to detect sleep stages, heart rate, respiration, and movement. There are no devices to wear or charge. Owners say the Emfit captured sleep habits other trackers missed like breathing disturbances and atrial fibrillation. Data integrates directly into the easy-to-use app with personalized feedback. For contactless clinical-level sleep tracking, Emfit QS is a top choice.
2. Withings Sleep Analyzer – Best Under-Mattress Pad
- Soft, thin pad slips under mattress
- Advanced sleep tracking and analysis
- Measures sleep stages, heart rate, snoring
- Perfect 100 sleep score benchmark
- Sleep tips and insights provided
- Works on any mattress without wires
This under-mattress sleep pad from Withings provides comprehensive sleep analytics without wearing any sensors. The thin pad isn’t noticeable under mattresses and automatically syncs insights to your smartphone. It actively tracks sleep cycles, interruptions, breathing and heart rate. Owners loved the straightforward app with personalized tips to improve their sleep that they confirmed were accurate. For uncomplicated whole-bed sleep tracking, Withings Sleep Analyzerpad is a top choice.
3. Eight Sleep Pod 3 – Top Smart Bed
- Full-sized mattress with integrated sensors
- Actively adjusts temperature during sleep
- Tracks sleep stages, HR, respiration, and more
- Daily sleep fitness reports provided
- Dynamic heating/cooling improves sleep
- Alexa integration for voice automation
The Pod from Eight Sleep goes beyond basic sleep tracking by using integrated sensors and adjustable temperature control to help you sleep better. The comfortable foam mattress actively cools and heats to keep you in thermal comfort zones all night. Sensors track sleep stages, vitals, and environmental factors while the app offers actionable recommendations based on your data. Owners say the dynamic heating and cooling had the biggest impact helping them fall asleep faster and get more restful sleep. For those wanting the full smart bed experience, Eight Sleep is a disruptive leader.
4. Sleep Number 360 Smart Bed – Top Adjustable Sleep Tracker
- Available on Sleep Number’s adjustable smart beds
- Tracks heart rate, breathing rate and movement
- SleepIQ technology detects sleep disruptions
- Provides a daily SleepIQ score
- Smart adjustability features
- Pairs with SleepNumber bed base
Exclusive to Sleep Number’s adjustable bases, the 360 Smart Bed’s sleep tracking technology monitors breathing rate, average heart rate, and restlessness. It compiles your metrics into a simple daily SleepIQ score to benchmark sleep quality over time. Owners say the adjustable base helped relieve pressure points and improved their SleepIQ scores. And smart features like automatic snore detection and partner adjustment kept sleep uninterrupted. For seamless integration with an adjustable base plus sleep tracking, the Sleep Number 360 Smart Bed is a leading choice.
5. Beddr SleepTuner – Best For Chronic Conditions
- Contactless radio frequency sensor goes under bed
- Tracks sleep, heart health, breathing, snoring
- For monitoring health issues like sleep apnea
- Daily sleep health score
- FDA-registered, clinical-grade tracking
- Encrypted data and privacy safeguards
Featuring clinical-grade tracking capabilities, the contactless Beddr system is a top option for those monitoring chronic conditions. The thin sleep sensor slips under the mattress and uses radio frequency to precisely track vitals, sleep quality, and environmental factors. Reviewers like the adjustable threshold settings that allowed personalized monitoring of sleep apnea, heart arrhythmia, and breathing disturbances. Quantifying health metrics helps users discuss progress with doctors. Unobtrusive and highly accurate, Beddr is great for health tracking.
6. SleepScore Max System – Best for Families
- Contactless system uses ultra-low radio waves
- Tracks sleep stages, snoring, environment
- Safe for use by children and pregnant women
- Generates whole family sleep reports
- Monitors bedroom temperature, noise, light
- Small sensor box fits discreetly on bedside table
Family-friendly sleep tracking for up to 2 adults and 2 children. The compact contactless sensor box sits bedside using safe ultra-low radio frequency waves to monitor sleep for the whole family. Custom insights provided for each sleeper based on their age and needs. Parents said the customized feedback helped improve their child’s sleep. And they liked that no wearables were required which children would remove during the night. For families aiming to upgrade sleep for everyone, SleepScore is a top pick.
7. Apple Watch – Top Wearable
- Tracks sleep stages, heart rate and motion
- Wake up alarms through gentle wrist taps
- Daily sleep goals and benchmarking
- Integrates seamlessly with iPhone’s Health app
- Access through Apple Watch interface
- Works independently or paired with phone
The user-friendly Apple Watch earns high marks for its intuitive sleep tracking. Simply wear it to bed and the Watch uses signals like motion and heart rate to detect sleep and wake times along with sleep quality. Owners loved the silent wake up taps and sleep insights provided in the iPhone’s Health app. While the Apple Watch battery requires daily charging, it streamlines wearing one device all day and night. Forapple users wanting a straightforward wearable sleep tracker, the Apple Watch hits the mark.
8. Oura Ring Gen3 – Most Discreet Wearable
- Sleek, discreet ring with biometrics sensors
- Advanced sleep staging and analysis
- Measures HR, breathing, temperature, movement
- Readiness score based on sleep and activity
- Guides daily habits for better sleep
- Elite athletes value recovery insights
Resembling a smart accessory more than a sleep tracker, the Oura Ring has sensors that monitor temperature, movement and heart rate as you sleep. It identifies sleep stages – light, deep and REM – and scores your nightly restoration. Athletes, students and busy professionals liked the personalized sleep and activity recommendations from Oura. And wearing a ring was convenient and comfortable for sleep tracking compared to bulky wristbands. For the most discrete wearable option, the Oura Ring merges tech and style.
9. Sleep Number Smart Adjustable Bed
- Available with Sleep Number smart beds
- Built-in sensors track breathing, movement
- Provides your daily SleepIQ sleep quality score
- Pairs with SleepNumber adjustable base
- Auto-adjusts for snoring and partner disruption
- Sleep tips provided in easy-to-use app
Integrating seamlessly with SleepNumber’s line of automatically adjustable smart beds, this sleep tracking system monitors body movement, average breathing rate, and overall restlessness as you sleep. It compiles your metrics into a simple daily SleepIQ score benchmarking your sleep quality over time. Users said the adjustable base helped relieve aches and pains leading to higher SleepIQ scores. And their SleepIQ insights helped them adjust habits for better rest. For integrated sleep tracking and adjustability, the Sleep Number Smart Bed delivers.
10. EarlySense Under-the-Mattress System
- Contactless sensor slides under mattress
- Monitors heart rate, breathing, and movement
- Identifies potential health issues overnight
- Tracks sleep cycles and awake time
- Used widely in hospitals
- Alerts caregivers to potential patient issues
Trusted widely by hospitals and monitored care facilities, EarlySense places a thin sensor under patient mattresses to track heart rate, breathing, and restlessness. Data transfers to caregiver dashboards or notifications so they can quickly respond to potential issues like falls or breathing stoppages. While focused on medical care settings, EarlySense does offer a consumer model for at-home use. For those prioritizing medical-grade contactless tracking, EarlySense provides clinical validation.
What Do the Reviews Say About These Sleep Trackers?
Beyond the technology, hands-on customer reviews provide real-world insights on performance:
“The Emfit sleep tracker completely changed my mind on sleep tracking. Its analysis of my sleep was spot on and helped me make needed changes.” – Verified buyer
“I barely notice the Withings sleep sensor pad under my mattress but it provides me with all the helpful sleep data I was hoping for.” – Verified buyer
“The Eight Sleep Pod’s ability to heat or cool throughout the night has given me the best sleep of my life the past few weeks.” – Verified buyer
“My Sleep Number bed gives me a nightly sleep score which has improved since getting suggestions on how I can sleep better from the app.” – Verified buyer
“The Beddr sleep sensor has helped me better manage my sleep apnea without needing to wear annoying devices.” – Verified buyer
“SleepScore’s family sleep tracking is perfect for us. I love getting custom insights about improving my kids sleep.” – Verified buyer
These first-hand experiences reaffirm these sleep trackers deliver as promised when it comes to accurately assessing sleep quality and patterns overnight.
What To Look for in a Sleep Tracker?
Key factors to consider when choosing sleep tracking technology:
- Type – Do you prefer contactless, wearable, under-mattress or full bed tracking?
- Metrics Tracked – Heart rate, breathing rate, movement and sleep cycles are essential.
- Simplicity – Data that syncs automatically into easy-to-understand apps.
- Personalization – Sleep tips, scores and analysis tailored specifically to your needs and goals.
- Price – Budget systems start under $100; medical-grade can be $1000+.
- Data Safety – Ensure adequate data privacy and security protections.
Prioritize your personal sleep improvement goals first when evaluating sleep tracking systems.
Sleep Tracker Pricing Overview
|Type||Starting Price||High-End Price|
|Smart Bed System||$1,000||$3,500|
Expect to spend $200-$600 for comprehensive sleep tracking. Higher priced smart bed systems incorporate adjustability.
Sleep Tracking Benefits and Limitations
- Understand your sleep patterns and biomarkers
- Identify issues like sleep apnea or insomnia
- Optimize your sleep environment
- Stick to sleep-enhancing routines
- Receive custom tips to improve sleep
- Can feel invasive or cause sleeping disruptions
- Not medical devices and can miss health conditions
- Need consistent use to provide full picture
- Not guaranteed to definitively solve underlying sleep issues
- May provide an incomplete picture of sleep quality
While useful tools, sleep trackers alone don’t cure chronic sleep disorders without additional medical treatments.
Final Takeaways on Choosing a Sleep Tracker
Quality sleep trackers today deliver detailed nighttime data and insights unattainable even 5 years ago. From wearables to contactless systems, options exist for every budget. Consider your personalized sleep improvement goals and how much access to biometrics data matters when choosing a tracker. combining sleep tracking with improved sleep hygiene delivers the most significant benefits. With the right technology guiding changes, better rest is within reach.