Velvet bedspreads bring an irresistible plushness and vintage elegance to the bedroom. The rich, luxe texture of velvet makes a sumptuous statement draped across the bed. After falling out of fashion for decades, velvet is back in a big way in home decor.
In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to choose the perfect velvet bedspread, from elegant colors and styles to cozying up your sleeping space. Let’s delve into the beauty of velvet for a bed worthy of royalty.
What is Velvet?
Velvet is a woven fabric made from silk, cotton, synthetic fibers, or a blend. It has a distinctive plush, tufted texture that sets it apart from other fabrics.
The luxuriously soft feel comes from the unique weaving process. During manufacturing, extra yarns are woven over top of the fabric then cut to create a dense pile surface. The closely sheared piles give velvet its signature luxe texture.
Modern velvet is mostly made from synthetic fibers like polyester or rayon. But silk and cotton velvet retain the highest quality and value. The fabric drapes beautifully and reflects light for visual depth.
Benefits of a Velvet Bedspread
Here are some of the top reasons to choose a velvet bedspread:
- Ultra-soft and plush to the touch
- Luxurious look and elegance
- Visually catches and reflects light
- Provides warmth without heavy weight
- Drapes flawlessly without wrinkles
- Repels dust, pet hair and stains -*Hypoallergenic and resistant to mites/mold
- Adds vintage sophistication to any bedroom
Velvet instantly infuses any space with cozy refinement. It brings out the richness of other accents like dark wood furniture or chandeliers. The indulgent texture creates an inviting nest to slip into for restful sleep.
Tips for Choosing a Velvet Bedspread
Here are the key factors to look for when shopping for a velvet bedspread:
Look for tightly woven, medium-weight velvet. lower pile height resists crushing but maintains softness. Avoid cheaply made thin velvet.
Cotton or silk velvet offer the highest quality and durability. Less expensive polyester blends maintain the look well.
Deep jewel tones like ruby, emerald, sapphire enhance velvet’s dramatic allure. Neutrals like champagne and slate gray offer versatile elegance.
Tufted stitches, pleated detailing, and subtle sheen add interest and dimension. Solid colors or simple patterns keep the focus on the velvet.
Clean edges with mitered corners and hems give it a polished finished look.
Available in sizes for twin, full, queen, and king beds. Check measurements to ensure proper fit.
Velvet brings luxury and vintage flair. But durability and easy care make it livable too.
5 Top-Rated Velvet Bedspreads
Based on quality, style and customer reviews, here are my top 5 velvet bedspread recommendations:
1. Madison Park Palisades Velvet Bedspread
- Yarn dyed woven velvet
- Tailored with mitered corners
- Cotton velvet with polyester backing
- Available in 8 rich colors
- Machine wash gentle cold; tumble dry low
This velvet spread from Madison Park receives rave reviews for its lush multi-toned color from quality dyed yarn. The cotton/poly blend maximizes softness and durability. Subtle sheen and tailored details equal luxury. An exceptional value for the quality. Drapes beautifully over the bed.
Available on Amazon starting at $28.49
2. HistoricalLOVE Velvet Bedspread
- 100% cotton velvet
- Reversible to coordinating floral cotton
- Available in 22 elegant colors
- Decorative tassels on corners
- Dry clean only
For those seeking 100% cotton velvet, this reversible bedspread impresses reviewers with its softness and quality. The reverse side features a pretty embroidered floral that reverses to solid velvet. Vibrant dyed colors and decorative details make this spread pop. A great versatile 2-in-1 option.
Available on Amazon starting at $69.95
3. Valentina Velvet Bedspread
- 100% polyester velvet
- Deep channel quilting for plushness
- Reverses to coordinating solid flannel
- Available in 13 colors like blush, ivory, sage
- Machine wash gentle cycle; tumble dry low
With over 15,000 rave reviews, this polyester velvet spread is a bestseller for its outstanding quality and affordable price. The quilted channels add dimension while the solid coordinating flannel reverse offers two stylish looks. Customers love the elegant draping and softness at a fraction of the cost of cotton velvet.
Available on Amazon starting at $25.99
4. Simpli Home Avalon Faux Fur Velvet Bedspread
- Super plush faux fur velvet
- Warm and decadent texture
- Tonal stripes for subtle interest
- Available in 4 neutral colors
- Machine wash on delicate; dry flat
For an irresistibly indulgent style, this faux fur textured velvet offers incredible softness at an affordable cost. Customers rave about snuggling under this luxurious spread. The tonal stripe design adds a chic modern touch. A gorgeous way to create a glamorous retreat.
Available on Amazon starting at $58.99
5. Furinno Velvet Touch Bedspread
- Mixture of velvet and velour fabrics
- Stripes reverse to solid coordinating color
- Blue, grey, pink and ivory color options
- Geometric diamond quilted stitching
- Machine wash cold, tumble dry low
With crisp tailored details, this blend velvet and velour spread offers a more affordable price without compromising quality. Buyers are impressed with the soft, elegant look and feel. The reversed stripes allow for a color change. Fits twin, full and queen sizes for versatile use.
Available on Amazon starting at $39.70
Any of these top-rated velvet bedspreads will add a welcoming plushness and refined style to your bedroom retreat.
Different Types of Velvet Fabric
Velvet bedspreads can be made from several types of velvet fabric:
The highest end velvet with the most luxurious drape and soft handfeel. More expensive but most durable.
Extremely luxurious and lustrous with an opulent drape. Difficult to clean so best for formal spaces.
Most affordable option while retaining the velvety look. Crushes more than natural fibers. Easy care.
Made from synthetic rayon but has sheen and feel of silk at lower cost. Durable and maintain pile.
Sheared low piles create lighter distressed texture with creases. More casual vibe.
Choose the best fiber content you can afford for optimal performance, durability and luxury feel.
Different Styles of Velvet Bedspreads
Velvet bedspreads come in these popular styles:
The classic elegant style to highlight the lush texture. Deeper jewel tones for glam. Neutrals go with anything.
Coordinating solid color on reverse is easy style change. Great way to add versatility.
Subtle geometric or floral patterns add interest without overwhelming. Avoid busy designs.
Tone on Tone
Slight color variations create depth and dimension. Works well with velvet’s multi-tonal sheen.
Buttons tufted into the velvet create lavish dimensional texture. Timeless luxurious style.
Channel or diamond quilting gives it loft and subtle design. Provides lightweight warmth.
Velvet Bedspread Pros and Cons
|Ultra soft plush pile||Shows wrinkles if improperly folded|
|Luxurious look and feel||Velvet pile prone to crushing if low quality|
|Lightweight warmth||More expensive than polyester bedspreads|
|Repels dust, pet hair||Avoid overly busy patterns that hide velvet beauty|
|Rich jewel-toned colors||Dry clean only for some silk or cotton velvets|
|Elegant vintage style||Not as casual cozy as flannel or cotton bedspreads|
Caring for Your Velvet Bedspread
Follow these tips to keep your velvet bedspread looking its best:
- Spot clean stains immediately with gentle cleaner
- Steam velvet instead of washing when possible
- Machine or dry clean only if manufacturer recommends
- Wash delicate cycle on cold and line dry away from sunlight
- Avoid overly hot water or drying that can damage piles
- Use a soft brush to gently revive crushed pile
- Place a non-velvet blanket between comforter and velvet spread
With proper care, a quality velvet bedspread will maintain its indulgent beauty for years.
Enhance Your Velvet Bedspread
Here are some ways to complement your velvet bedspread:
- Add velvet shams, throws and pillows for a luxe layered look
- Choose bedding in coordinating solids and subtle patterns
- Decorate with marble, crystal and gold accents
- Use an upholstered headboard and nightstands
- Show off the texture with gentle draping and folds
- Light with crystal chandeliers or sconces on dimmers
- Display art and accessories with other rich textures
Really lean into the glamorous vintage vibe and create a bedroom worthy of royalty.
Best Sheets to Pair With a Velvet Bedspread
Here are some of the best sheet fabrics to pair with velvet:
Satin – Matching shiny sheen enhances the luxury.
Flannel – Soft coziness complements the velvet texture.
Linen – Natural material with elegant drape.
Cotton Sateen – Silky soft handfeel with subtle luster.
Microfiber – Lightweight and super soft blend.
Aim for sheets with a very soft handfeel and subtle sheen to complement the plush velvet.
Velvet Bedspread Uses
Here are some ways to get the most use out of your velvet bedspread:
- Layer over your everyday comforter for instant sophistication
- Use as a decorative throw at the end of the bed
- Add drama draped over a chaise lounge or settee
- Create an elegant tablescape thrown over a dining table
- Repurpose into window treatments like curtains or valances
- Display as artwork hung on the wall or draped on a screen
- Cut pieces to make ornate pillows or cushion covers
Don’t save your velvet just for the bedroom – use it creatively throughout the home!
History of Velvet Fabric
- First made of silk in China circa 200-500 AD
- Became symbol of nobility and royalty in medieval Europe
- Stylish in Victorian era as clothing fabric and décor
- Mass production in 1800s made it affordable to middle class
- Upholstery and decorative fabric through mid 20th century
- Resurgence in home decor in recent years
The lavish heritage gives velvet its enduring air of luxury and status.
Velvet Bedspread Care FAQs
How do you clean a velvet bedspread?
Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions. Most can be spot treated and dry cleaned, with some machine washable on delicate cycle. Avoid overly hot water or high heat drying which can damage the pile.
Should you iron a velvet bedspread?
Iron very gently if needed on lowest heat setting. Place a cloth over the velvet before ironing to avoid crushing the pile. Steam is safest option.
How can you get wrinkles out of a velvet bedspread?
Hang or lay flat to let wrinkles fall out naturally. Gently tug fabric into shape and brush pile. Use an at-home hand steamer if needed. Avoid overly hot ironing.
How do you remove stains from a velvet bedspread?
Blot stains immediately. Spot clean with a gentle upholstery cleaner, rubbing very delicately. Avoid scrubbing, bleaching or saturating the fabric which can leave water marks.
How do you fluff crushed velvet?
Use a soft bristle brush to gently brush the piles in multiple directions. Or try holding a steamer 1-2 inches above the fabric to revive the texture. Avoid direct heat.
Velvet vs. Velveteen vs. Velour
These 3 luxurious fabrics are sometimes confused:
Velvet – Woven fabric with cut dense piled surface
Velveteen – Knitted pile fabric that imitates velvet
Velour – Knitted fabric like velveteen but much lighter weight
Velvet has the most luxurious drape and feel. But velveteen and velour provide a cozy plushness at lower cost.
Velvet Bedspread FAQs
What is the best fabric for a bedspread?
Are velvet bedspreads warm?
Yes, the plush pile does provide warmth and insulation. But velvet remains fairly lightweight and breathable. So it generally doesn’t get overly warm.
Are velvet bedspreads expensive?
Prices range widely from $50 to over $500. Pure silk or cotton velvet are the priciest. But more budget-friendly polyester or rayon blends allow anyone to enjoy velvet luxury.
Should I dry clean or machine wash a velvet bedspread?
Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions. Many higher quality velvets recommend dry cleaning only. But some more everyday polyester velvets can be machine washed on delicate and air dried.
How can I add color to my bedroom?
An easy way is with a vibrant, jewel-toned velvet bedspread or throw blanket. Rich shades like emerald, sapphire and ruby make a bold style statement. Accent with gold-toned decor for glamorous contrast.
Enhance Your Bedroom With Lush Velvet
A velvet bedspread brings a touch of vintage luxury and refinement. Hopefully this guide provided some inspiration to help choose the perfect velvet spread to indulge your space. Look for quality construction with dense plush pile for lasting beauty and comfort. A velvet bedspread instantly transforms any room into a glamorous retreat.